Thursday, August 24, 2006

Slow to speak

Read an interesting blog today from blogging friend Lori about "being slow to speak." It hit home to me quite a bit. I hope (and pray) I will apply this concept to my life, I always did try. Now, just try harder and pray more.
.


Click this little guy to open her blog entry for today.

She said, "Let me tell you, I will be making it a daily prayer in my life. I am going to use this Psalm as a prayer on my lips Psalm 141:3: "Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips." "

I won't go into a lot of the details leading to the article, but for me and my thoughts I hope to live by "James 1:19–Help me to be quick to listen and slow to speak," also quoted in her blog.

Comments:
Thank you for linking to me Jim. What a blessing it is to know that God's word still convicts. : )
 
A pastor Greg Bahnsen compiled a good article called A Moral Checkup for Your Mouth. I cannot say I agree with this pastor on his theology in other areas, but this article is sound.

I need to be slow to speak as well!

Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.
—Colossians 4:6
 
Thanks guys. and thanks, ryan, for the visit. I'll check the article.
I want to clarify a little here.
Lori's last paragraph today [Aug 25] is what I have committed to with my speaking. ["I'm going to avoid criticism and hurt by listening before I speak and honoring what I commit to do."]

Not my speech. I gave that to the Lord quite a few years ago. When I even think a cuss word the Holy Spirit chastises me.
 
Amen Jim! I think this is were a lot of still struggle. Not with the cursing, but with the criticisms and hurtful words that come flying out of our mouths.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?